VELUX FONDEN wishes to contribute to a healthy marine environment that is more resilient to climate change with opportunities for both recreational pleasure and better coastal fishing.
In Denmark the sea is never far away. The Danish coastline covers more than 7,000 km, and much of Denmark's territory is under water.
Aquatic life and the ecosystems beneath the ocean surface and along the coasts represent important natural assets for the entire nation, but in many parts of Denmark, like elsewhere, the marine environment is under pressure. Climate change, overfishing, nutrient pollution and invasive species are just some of the factors Danish waters are reacting to.
We wish to contribute to a healthy marine environment as it is vital to our society and, among other things, provides opportunities for recreational pleasure and better coastal fishing. Furthermore, a sustainable marine environment is more resilient to climate change and other human impact.
What do we fund?
We fund targeted initiatives to contribute to a sound marine environment – across challenges and stakeholder interests. We primarily focus on funding projects that:
- on a large scale demonstrate how the sea can be a part of the solution
- create dialogue and involve new target groups
- create coherence and added value between different research areas (synthesis)
We give preference to supporting partnerships of diverse multiple stakeholders who have influence on potential solutions to a given issue of concern, or who are impacted by it.
We're curious – share your idea with us
Before drafting your application, we recommend that you get in touch with us to outline your project and discuss it with us.
How to apply?
You can submit your application under the 'Environment' grant area at any time.
Applications that are consistent with our focus on the Danish marine environment are welcomed and considered on an ongoing basis.
In addition, we regularly publish special thematic calls with a specific focus. All the calls have an application deadline. Visit this page regularly for updates.
Ready to apply?
All applications must be submitted via our digital application portal.
Gain inspiration from previously granted projects
The Danish Nature Fund
VILLUM FONDEN has contributed to the creation of the Danish Nature Fund. It is the aim and purpose of the Fund to promote the protection of nature and water environment in Denmark.
A philanthropic foundation established by VILLUM FONDEN and the descendants of Villum Kann Rasmussen. The purpose of the Foundation is to address the root causes of climate change and environmental degradation.
VILLUM FONDEN and VELUX FONDEN have set up a number of working groups mainly for the purpose of contributing to the allocation activities of the foundations taking place on a professional, sound and in other respects exemplary basis. The object of the working groups is to assist the board of trustees with strategic development as well as with the handling and recommendations to decide on applications and projects within selected areas, presently the individual allocation areas as well as the asset management.
- Astrid Kann-Rasmussen, nurse, Vice-Chair and Co-Founder, KR Foundation
- David Dupont-Mouritzen, MSc. cultural geographer, Project Director at Copenhagen Infrastructure Service Partners, external member
- Mikael Skou Andersen, MSc. Political Science, PhD, professor, Department of Environmental Science and Department of Agroecology, Aarhus University, external member
- Minik Rosing, Professor, National History Museum of Denmark, University of Copenhagen, Licenciate (PhD), MSc., Vice-Chair of VELUX FONDEN
- Sif Johansson, senior adviser at The Swedish Research Council Formas, PhD, external member
We will be pleased to discuss your prospective project in detail, so give us a call or mail us to outline your ideas.